Saturday, January 7, 2012

Goals Anew for 2-0-1-2

I have a problem - if I don't publicize my goals I just find too many excuses to not achieve them. I didn't make a resolution, per se, unless I make an umbrella goal of "be healthier in all aspects of my life." Sure, that sounds good, doesn't it?

So here I am, sharing my goals for 2012 with you all. I think I shall categorize them by health topic. Sometimes I'll update you on my progress and I'm sure I will share with you my struggles. I would also love to hear about your goals and any tips to help us achieve them.

Goal 1 - Run a 5k. Area: Physical Health

In fact, this one will be finished soon. I have signed up for my first 5k which is February 4th! Ahh - so close! In fact, not only am I running a 5k, but I am also doing my first Polar Bear Plunge for the Special Olympics!! So by running I am doing something good for me and by raising money I am helping others. Why wouldn't I do this? I am trying hard to train for it but I am a little worried. Back around the second week of December I hurt my shoulder and didn't run until this past week. Before then I was up to 2.5 miles as a long run, but now I'm struggling to make a mile and a half. On the other hand I'm pretty sure after a few more runs I'll snap back into shape.

I am also hoping to do a few more 5ks this year. I got a Nike+ for Christmas and it tracks my miles. I signed up with their website and have joined an additional challenge: to run 212 miles in 2012. Is that a lot? I wasn't sure but then I started thinking about it. If I run at least 1 mile 3 times a week, it will take me 71 we--oh wait, that's more than a year. But if I run at least 5 miles a week, that's 43 weeks and much more manageable. It gives me room to run more/less whenever I need to. Also, if I don't make a lot of progress during the year, I'll be REALLY into running come that fattening winter season this year. Either way it's win/win.

Goal 2 - Increase my cake skills. Area: Mental Health

There are a lot of things I want to do with my cakes this year. I want to FINALLY take a Wilton's decorating class. I want to do more work with fondant and learn a new skill - be it modeling chocolate, gum paste or marzipan. I plan to get my own airbrush within the next few months so then I can make cakes like the ones I do at the store. I put this under mental health because it's something I LOVE to do and I need to work on doing things that make me happy.

Goal 3 - Plan first, grade second. Area: Occupational Health

With the school work I have to do, I tend to draw out grading things because it's my least favorite part of the job. That means that I have less time to do what I get really excited about, which is planning really cool lessons. For this second semester, I want to work on planning lessons first. If I have things to grade at school, I'm a bit stressed. If I have half of it graded but didn't plan a decent lesson? I'm SUPER stressed! No reason for all that. I am trying to re-vamp my classroom in general and I am starting here.

Goal 4 - Finish reading Is God a Mathematician? Area: Intellectual Health

I started reading this book last summer. I'll admit - it's hard to get through. It's written by mathematicians, scientists and researchers. It reads as such. But I have enjoyed what I have learned so far. I need to remember, between my guilty pleasure reading, that I also really want to finish this book. Even if I just read a chapter at a time I will eventually succeed.


I plan to use my mantra "I am living well" a lot this year to help me find the healthiest me of my life! These are a beginning to my 2012 goals but I am sure I will have many more to come. I appreciate you all reading this - by doing so you are already helping me to believe, achieve, succeed!!

4 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to take a Wilton's class for years... go do it and post about it, it will motivate me to take it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard that book is good...makes me tempted to add it to my list. Oh dear, all the things we want to do...

    Great goals. Can't wait for updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've missed your posts, so now I'm catching up. I need to look for that book. If you had planned my lessons for me, I would have graded your papers for you. Too bad we didn't get to work in a situation like that. I was ready for some new ideas and I'm sure my students would have benefited from our partnership. Good luck on these plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A partnership like that would be wonderful :) Although with all of the preps I had where I was I'm not sure if I could have managed it back then. If you want back in, I'm sure we can create this collaborative position in Wytheville :)

      Delete